Calderdale Safeguarding Childrens Board
CSCB is a partnership body that is independent of all the organisations that work with children, young people and their families in Calderdale. A Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) is a statutory body, so every area has to have one and the Council have a special responsibility to ensure that it is effective in what it does. Members of the Board represent all types of organisations and groups and have an equal say.
CSCB is there to make sure that all organisations and people who work with children are knowledable situations that are causing or may cause children and young people harm. CSCB ensure that all organisations and their leaders sign up to and commit to work in certain ways that make sure safeguarding is a priority in their own organisation. CSCB is not responsible for the delivery of services, though those who plan and make decisions about services locally take its views seriously. It is responsible for holding members to the commitments they make, and for making sure that everyone knows about how best we should work together to protect children and young people.
Things don’t always go as they should and we know that tragically some children and young people suffer harm, neglect, abuse and on rare occasions death. There are many reasons why this happens and when it does, it is the CSCB’s job to understand what happened and why, so that it can help its members to identify what can be learnt and what needs to change to reduce the chance of it happening again.
Who makes up the safeguarding childrens board
The Safeguarding Board
The Safeguarding Children Board has Senior Management representatives from the following agencies:
Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group
Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS)
South and West Yorkshire Partnership Foundation Trust
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
West Yorkshire Police
|Democratic and Partnership Services; Public Health; Youth Offending Team||Primary and Secondary Schools||Lay Member|
Other partners include: British Transport Police
The business group
The role of the Business Group is to establish the strategic direction of the Board and ensure the effective delivery of the work of the CSCB. The Business Group will also ensure the CSCB is engaged with all the agencies providing services for children and families in Calderdale, and ensure appropriate mechanisms for communication with the Children and Young People’s Partnership Executive and other business planning processes.
The Terms of Reference of the Business Group are:
Support and ensure that the sub groups deliver the priorities and objectives set out by the Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board (CSCB) by providing a regular forum.
- To accept and act on new pieces of work presented by the CSCB and to consider new areas of work proposed by the sub groups
- Help ensure that all activities of the CSCB are focused on the impact these achieve for children, young people and their families
- Help to ensure that the CSCB is an effective Board and is able to evidence this to the general public and all stakeholders.
- Support and advise the Business Manager and the Independent Chair
- To work within the Performance and Quality Assurance and Learning and Improvement Frameworks and to oversee their implementation and development
- Ensure that the contributions of the sub groups and the Board core functions are integrated and coordinated
- Performance manage, quality assure and hold each sub group to account; reporting any suggested corrective action to the CSCB
- Initiate, maintain and regularly monitor the Risk Register in order to ensure that the work of the Board is stimulated by challenge and regular assessment of impact
- Provide the opportunity for reflection, consideration and analysis of matters and issues that reflects the multi agency context of the CSCB, especially performance information
- Consider any issues arising from sub groups and decide whether there is a need to escalate to CSCB
- Oversee the Annual Report and Business Planning cycle.
- Regularly review the function and content of the CSCB website and core communications and advise the Board as to progress and impact
- Set-up, under instruction from the CSCB, standing or time-limited task and finish with delegated responsibilities, to carry out the work programme of the CSCB
- Advise the CSCB as to any matters or revisions that may be judged as necessary such as revision to the sub group structure and composition, revisions to priorities and objectives, and or performance of the CSCB
It will be supported by the Safeguarding Board Business and QA Manager and Senior Administrator.
The Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board Business Group is made up of the following members:
- CSCB Business & QA Manager
- CSCB Lay Member
- Named Nurse/Trust Lead – SWYPFT
- Head of Service, Commissioning & Partnership – CMBC
- Head of Early Intervention & Safeguarding – CMBC
- Head of Pennine Housing – Together Housing Group
- Service Manager – Youth Offending Team/Early Intervention (Upper Valley)
- Designated Nurse – Calderdale CCG
- Head of Quality – Calderdale CCG
- DCI – West Yorkshire Police
A team of staff (The Secretariat) support the work of the Board and its sub-groups. The service is currently based at Northgate House, Halifax. The Board is co-located with the Calderdale Safeguarding and Quality Assurance Service.
From Left to Right:
Jacquie Hellowell – Performance Management Quality Assurance Officer – who coordinates and collates performance management data for the Calderdale multi-agency partnership
Allison Waddell – Multi-Agency Learning and Improvement Officer – who co-ordinates and delivers Calderdale’s multi-agency safeguarding learning and development programme
Julia Caldwell – Business Manager
Julie Hartley – Business Support Co-ordinator – who provides business support to the Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board (CSCB), the Child Death Overview Panel (CDOP), Sub-groups and the Multi-Agency Learning and Improvement Officer
Lisa Golding-Smith – Business Support Co-ordinator – who provides business support to the Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board (CSCB), Sub-groups, the CSCB Independent Chair and CSCB Business & QA Manager.
You have probably heard the phrase “safeguarding children is everyone’s business” and this is of course true, but it raises some key questions for each of us, whoever we are or whatever we do:
- Do we know and are we clear about what this means for us especially if we have a concern that a child may not be safe?
- Do we know what to do?
- Are we confident that other people would know what to do and that things will work as they should?
CSCB is here to make sure that the answers to these questions are in place!